I wrote a list of cyberpunk topics (assisted by my boyfriend). These are the unsettling innovations that I aim to keep talking about!
- transhumanism / biohacking / cyborgs
- the quantified self (health and behavioral data)
- artificial intelligence and machine learning
- androids and other personified robots
- virtual and augmented realities
- immersive digital worlds (video games, forums, etc)
- the effects of climate change and other slow-motion natural disasters
- automation of labor and production; non-humanoid robots
Government & Power
- surveillance; post-privacy social mores
- extreme inequality
- the military-industrial and prison-industrial complexes
I said “unsettling innovations”, but “invigorating” is also true. Contemplating the future-present gets my blood running! Exolymph hasn’t explored all of these topics yet, which is part of why having a list may prove useful. What else do you think should be included?
Also, perhaps you’ve noticed that other people are welcome to contribute to Exolymph. Way Spurr-Chen and Ken Rodriguez both wrote essays; Pythagorx offered a short story. If you’re excited about any of these topics or have another cyberpunk idea, please hit reply and we can discuss including it in the newsletter. Non-text creations are especially desired!
Additions from Webster Wade:
- 3D printing
- open-source software
- Internet of Things
- sharing economy
- possibility of neuroware
Something else I thought of:
- food replacements (Soylent, Schmilk, etc)